Borchs Kollegium (original Latin name: Collegium Mediceum) was founded on 29 May 1691 to house (according to the Will of the founder Oluff Borch:) sixteen poor, god-fearing and learned students. It is one of the old dormitories of University of Copenhagen.
The original house, complete with Borchs library and chemical laboratories was destroyed, along with the rest of the city in the Great Fire of Copenhagen in 1728. The house was rebuilt using remnants of the old walls, and stood ready three years and 5500 rigsdaler later, in 1731.
Because of Danish foreign policy in the beginning of the 19th century, Copenhagen was the scene of some conflict with the British navy. In the Battle of Copenhagen (1807) British forces decided to prevent Napoleon from getting hold of the Danish fleet. According to the history of Borchs Kollegium (see references) several skirmishes were fought in which some of students of Borchs Kollegium participated. Naval bombardments were especially heavy in the area around Vor Frue Plads and on the third day, September 4, fire broke out in the Kollegium and the building burned to the ground.