will be the fourth and final book in the Inheritance Cycle. This will be written by Christopher Paolini.
The Inheritance cycle was originally intended to be a trilogy, but Paolini has stated that during writing, the length of the third book grew, and the book was split into two parts to be published separately, as two different books. Because of this, many plot elements originally intended for the third book will likely be moved to the fourth book.
Brisingr was released on September 20, 2008. No official release date or title has been given for the fourth book.
In a video that was released on October 30
on Alagaesia.com, Christopher Paolini
"It really struck home for me a few chapters into [Brisingr] when Eragon and Roran have attacked Helgrind where the Ra'zac are, and during that sequence of events Eragon encounters a moral quandary and in order to resolve it in a way that felt consistent to Eragon's character, ended up adding about a hundred pages to the third book. Now I do not know about you but I do not mind big books. I like big books, but there is a point when it gets too big, and it gets unwieldy or the words are too small to easily read. And at that point I began to realize that maybe instead of having just a third book to end the Inheritance Trilogy, maybe the Inheritance Trilogy should become the Inheritance Cycle, and instead of three books it should be four books."
He also stated that it was "a big shift in my thinking to make that decision".
In an interview with shurtugal.com in July 2008, Paolini said that the werecats--one of the creatures he has only vaguely touched upon in books 1 through 3--will have their history revealed in Book 4.
In an interview with Gerard Doyle, Paolini noted how amazing the cover art for Brisingr was, and wondered how the artist, John Jude Palencar, will create a better work of art in Book 4 of the series.
Unresolved Plot Elements From Brisingr
Below is a brief list of some plot details that were announced to be in Book 3 Of the Inheritance Trilogy (now Inheritance Cycle), but as it was split into two books, appear to not have been included in Brisingr
. Also below are plot elements that surfaced in Brisingr that have yet to be resolved.
Paolini has mentioned the following information in various interviews:
- In the fourth book, the Varden's attitude towards Nasuada's position as leader of the Varden might change.
- In the fourth book it will be revealed if Saphira ever finds a mate.
- More of Ajihad's background may be revealed.
- What the true name is that Galbatorix searches for.
- Birgit blames her husband's death on Roran, and has vowed to avenge him.
- More information about Roran and Katrina's Child will be revealed.
- Eragon has yet to find the Rock of Kuthian or the Vault of Souls and speak his name, as instructed by the werecat Solembum.
- Angela predicted that Eragon would leave Alagaesia forever when she read his fortune in the first book. In Brisingr, several other characters reiterated this premonition.
- The words of power Brom told Eragon before he died, and what they mean, will be revealed.
- What will happen to the third dragon in Galbatorix's possession will be revealed.
- Eragon's attraction to Arya will be resolved.
- The third dragon rider will be revealed.
- Angela's former teacher may become more prominent, and his books of true names could be of use to Eragon.
- What the Menoa tree took.