Bonagee United were formed on 2 November, 1970 in the Continental Bar, now Voodoo, on Letterkenny's Main Street. In 1971, the club purchased 1 hectare (2.5 acres) of land behind the Dry Arch for £1000. They were originally called Arcade Athletic. In 1973, Athletic became Bonagee Celtic and then in 1975 Bonagee United. A development programme was drawn up in 1988 and gave the club an all-weather playing pitch and a spectator stand. A general purpose hall, two astroturf pitches with floodlights, extra dressing rooms, a store and office have also been added. Today the facilities amount to €973,000, for which they received a grant of €360,000. Money was raised by generous locals and the then Minister for Sport, Jim McDaid.
Michael Funston, who came through the youth ranks of Bonagee United, currently plays for Finn Harps.
FAI Senior Cup first round - Bonagee United v Clonmel Town - Dry Arch Park, Sunday 12 noon Bonagee with a senior date.
Mar 18, 2010; Bonagee United will write another chapter in their history when the FAI Senior Cup comes to town on Sunday with the visit of...