is a town (pop. 13,000) in Hälsingland
and the seat of Bollnäs Municipality
, Gävleborg County
In written sources Bollnäs is traced from 1312, by a vicar named Ingemund who referred to it as Baldenaes, which means "the large isthmus
," referring to the isthmus into a nearby lake.
Bollnäs became a city in 1942. Bollnäs has a station along the Northern Railline (Norra Stambanan), but has never served any higher purpose other than as a centre of trade for the surrounding lands.
Points of interest
- Bollnäs church was built in the 14th and 15th centuries. One opening is known to have taken place November 3, 1468, probably concerning the church tower. Later alterations include the addition of the north and south transepts, built 1753-1755.
The church holds a larger collection of wooden medieval sculptures than any other parish church in the Nordic countries. Three of the altarpieces are major works of art from the late 15th century or early 16th century, including the altarpiece dedicated to Virgin Mary, made by Haaken Gulleson c. 1520.
Also from late 15th century or early 16th century is the most valuable eucharistic chalice with its paten.
- Orienteering competitor Emma Engstrand (b. December 14, 1977) was born in, and grew up in, Bollnäs.
- Ice hockey player Anders Eriksson (b. January 9, 1975) was born in, and grew up in, Bollnäs.
- Jazz clarinetist Åke "Stan" Hasselgård (October 4, 1922 - November 23, 1948) grew up in Bollnäs, where his grave can be found.
- Former politician C H Hermansson was born in Bollnäs on December 14, 1917.
- Swimmer Anna-Karin Kammerling, grew up in Bollnäs.
- Kristoffer Lindberg
- Finnish writer Timo K. Mukka (1944-1973) was born in Bollnäs, to which his family had been evacuated from the Lapland region during the Lapland War.
- Table tennis player Thomas von Scheele was born in Bollnäs on March 13, 1969.
- Super model Victoria Silvstedt, grew up in Bollnäs.
- Ski jumper Per-Inge Tällberg was born in Bollnäs on June 14, 1967.
- Ski jumper Staffan Tällberg was born in Bollnäs on April 17, 1970.