Built by the Dutch
, Bolgatty Palace
is located in the scenic island popularly known as Bolgatty island
. One of the oldest existing Dutch palaces outside Holland, this quaint mansion, built in 1744, by Dutch traders, was later extended and lush green gardens were landscaped around it. The building was then the Governor's palace for the Dutch and later in 1909 was leased to the British
. It served as the home of the British Governors, the seat of the British Resident of Cochin during the British regime. In 1947, when India got her independence
, the palace became the property of the state and later converted into a heritage hotel resort.