is a late 80's youth crew hardcore punk
band from upstate New York
, which along with bands like Youth Of Today
and Side By Side
were a part of the Youth Crew
, and a major influence in the late 80's straight edge hardcore
Originally called Crippled Youth
, the band was formed in Katonah, New York
by Matt Warnke (vocals), Tim Brooks (bass) and Drew Thomas (drums). After a couple of shows with Matt singing and playing guitar, they recruited John 'Zulu' Zuluaga on guitar, and Matt switched to just singing. They released a 7" EP entitled 'Join The Fight'
on the California
label New Beginning in 1986 before switching to the name Bold
. It was under this name that they recorded the 11-song LP Speak Out
. The record was supposed to be released on California's WishingWell Records, but was eventually released in 1988 on Revelation
The band later recruited Tom Capone (Beyond/Shelter/Quicksand/etc.) on second guitar, and recorded a self-titled 5-song 7" in 1989, also on Revelation. The 7" is by many considered their best material, adding more melody to their straightforward hardcore sound. The 7" EP was re-issued on a 12" entitled 'Looking Back' in 1993, with 2 bonus tracks.
Bold reunited in 2005 with Warnke on vocals, Capone on guitar, Brooks on bass and Vinny Panza on drums. John Porcelly, who periodically played with the band in the 1980s, later joined on second guitar. To conincide with the reunion, Revelation released the retrospective CD The Search: 1985-1989, which contains the band's entire recorded output.
However, Warnke and Porcelly left in 2006, effectively breaking up the band. The bands' recordings from the period after back together, although allegedly completed, have yet to surface. A European tour with replacement members was planned for Summer 2007, but did not happen.
- Matt Warnke sang for a band called One-Sided War in the late 90's, before forming Running Like Thieves (named after a Bold-song) with John Biviano and Andy Guida of Supertouch, which put out two EPs on New Jersey's LiveWire Records He has since quit the band. He is currently fronting the reunited Bold.
- Drew Thomas formed Into Another with ex-Underdog singer Richie Birkenhead in 1990. They put out several records throughout the 90's, but have now broken up. Thomas also played drums for The New Rising Sons (fronted by ex-Texas Is The Reason member Garret Klahn). They released two EPs on the Grape OS label before signing to Virgin records, but broke up before an album could be completed.
- Tom Capone played in several bands throughout the 1990s, such as Quicksand, Handsome and Instruction. He is currently playing for the reunited Bold.
- John "Zulu" Zuluaga is currently playing his SG in the band The Hoof
- Speak Out LP (Revelation Records 1988)
- S/T 7" (Revelation Records 1989)
- Looking Back (Revelation Records 1989)
- The Search: 1985-1989 (Complete Discography) (Revelation Records 2005)