Blevice is a village and municipality in the Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. It is located about 20 km northwest of Prague, 12 km northeast of Kladno and 6 km southwest of Kralupy nad Vltavou. The population as of December 31, 2006 was 283.
Blevice was first mentioned in 1282, but the location has been inhabited a long time before that. As a group of 7 or 8 (today barely noticeable) prehistoric burial barrows in the wood southeast of the villages testifies. They were archaeologicaly explored in the 19th century. No definite opinion of the age of the barrows can be stated. Estimates vary from late Bronze Age (second half of 2nd millennium BC) to Slavic period of early Middle Ages (second half of 1st millennium AD).
Blevice has a Jewish cemetery located in the southern (upper) end of the village, beside the Zákolany road. Within an enclosure of about 2,400 m² there are about 300 preserved tombstones dating from early 18th century until the Holocaust. The neighbouring gravedigger's house from 1880s is well preserved and today serves as a private residence. Only a small number of Jewish families lived in Blevice proper in the 19th century, the cemetery was used mainly by Jews from the nearby town of Velvary and the village of Ješín. There are no longer any Jews in Blevice.
|Blevice between 1869 and 2001|