The area takes its name from the Irish word "Bléan" which means a creek. (The suggestion that it derives from the Blayneys of Castleblayney originates in an inaccuarate statement in Livingstone's History of Fermanagh.) Blaney Bay, on Lough Erne was a good location for prospective settlers, thus Tully Castle was founded by Sir John Hume in 1619. When it was sacked in the Irish Rebellion of 1641 by Rory Maguire, the family seat was replaced nearby with Castle Hume Hall designed by Richard Cassels.
Until 1987, Ely Lodge, named after Lord Ely, was a summer retreat for the Duke and Duchess of Westminster and their children. It is now a private residence. A flying boat base was built by the Americans at Ely Lodge in 1941 and American troops were based there from 1942 to 1944.
Castlehume Golf Club has an 18th century dovecote in its grounds. Nick Faldo has designed a second championship course at the club which is due to open in 2008.