, or Borstal Hill Mill
is a smock mill
that was built in 1815. It is now a part of a motel.
Black Mill was built in 1815. A mill that previously stood on the site was marked on Bowen's map of 1736. The mill had been painted white when built, but was tarred in 1885, thus gaining its name of Black Mill. Trinity House had to be notified, as the mill was a navigational landmark for sailors. The mill last worked circa 1905 and in 1928 was converted into a studio by the artist Laurence Irving, the grandson of Sir Henry Irving. The mill was later converted into a motel, which it is still used as today. The converted tower still contains the major milling machinery, and externally bears stocks and a dummy fantail.
is a four storey smock mill on a single storey brick base. There was a stage at first floor level. It had four patent sails
carried on a cast iron
windshaft. The Brake wheel survives. This drove a cast iron Wallower mounted on a wooden Upright Shaft. The Great Spur Wheel also survives. The mill drove three pairs of millstones
overdrift. It was winded by a fantail
- Lawes & Carr 1839 - 1845
- William Carr 1845
- Jonathan Rye
- Henry Somerford 1860 - 1866
- James Callingham 1866 -
- Callingham Bros. - 1899
- George & William Dawking 1899 - 1905
References for above:-
- Irving, Laurence (1971). The Precarious Crust. London: Chatto and Windus. ISBN 070111701X.