The Toronto Ferry Company was formed from the merge of John Doty Engine & Ferry Company with A.J. Tymon's Island Ferry Company, two of Toronto's early ferry operators to Toronto Islands in 1890. The company's ferry license and ships was later acquired by the Toronto Transportation Commission in 1927.
Capt. Andrew J. Tymon operated a number ferries from 1880 until the formation of his own service in the mid 1880s. It later merged with John Doty's company to form TFC in 1892.
Doty Brothers (John Doty) began as a builder of ship engines and gradually as an operator of ferry service to the Island. The company was located at Front and Bathurst Streets in a building now occupied by Sherwin-Williams paint store.
A list of engines built by John Doty:
A list of ships operated by the TFC:
|Make/Model||Description||# passengers||Year acquired||Year retired||Notes|
|* Mayflower - built by Bathurst Street Wharf for John Doty Engine & Ferry Company||ferry||900-1000||1890||1938||Later acquired from the Toronto Ferry Company by E.B. Osler (with acquisition of John Doty Engine & Ferry Company and Tymon's Island Ferry Company|
|Primrose built by Bathurst Street Wharf for John Doty Engine & Ferry Company||ferry||900-1000||1890||1938||sister ship to the Mayflower and later acquired from the Toronto Ferry Company|
|Bluebell - built by Polson Iron Works Limited for Toronto Ferry Company||ferry||N/A||1906||1955|
|Trillium 1910-1957 - built by Polson Iron Works Limited for Toronto Ferry Company||ferry||N/A||1910; 1976||1957||re-enter service 1976 with Metro Parks|
|Luella - built by W. Armour & Company and John Doty Engine Company for Toronto Ferry Company||ferry||122||1882||1934|
|Sadie - built as St. Jean Baptiste for the Turner Ferry Co.||ferry||1878||?|
|Canadian - built for the Turner Ferry Co.||ferry||1882||?|
|Prouvette Beyer - built for the Turner Ferry Co.||ferry||1882||?|
|Arlington - built for the A.J. Tymon Ferry Co.||ferry||1882||?|
|Jessie McEdwards - built for the A.J. Tymon Ferry Co.||ferry||1882||?|
|Kathleen - built for the A.J. Tymon Ferry Co.||ferry||1882||1918|
|Getrude - built for the A.J. Tymon Ferry Co.||ferry||1882||?|
|Island Queen - built for the A.J. Tymon Ferry Co.||ferry||1882||1918|
|Ned Hanlan - built for the A.J. Tymon Ferry Co.||ferry||1902||1966|
|Jasmine||ferry||1918||1929||later renamed Ojibway|
|John Hanlan||ferry||1918 (1884?)||1927|
COUNCIL SPEAKER QUINN, NYCEDC PRESIDENT PINSKY, COUNCIL MEMBERS, AND BILLYBEY FERRY COMPANY CELEBRATE THE EAST RIVER FERRY SERVICE FAR EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS IN FIRST SIX MONTHS.
Dec 15, 2011; NEW YORK, NY -- The following information was released by the NYC Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC): Today, Council...
Mayor Bloomberg and Speaker Quinn Announce East River Ferry Ridership Has Reached One Million Passengers, More Than Doubling Expectations Upcoming Customer Satisfaction Survey to Better Understand Ferry Riders
Jul 16, 2012; NEW YORK, NY -- The following information was released by the office of the mayor of New York: Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, City...
OFFICIALS CELEBRATE RESTORATION OF HISTORIC HOBOKEN TERMINAL RESTORED FERRY SLIPS, EXPANDED SERVICE TO BENEFIT COMMUTERS.
Dec 07, 2011; Hoboken -- The following information was released by the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT): New Jersey Department...