- This article is about a 1931 telugu movie. See Bhakta Prahlada for disambiguation.
Bhakta Prahlada is the first telugu talkie movie made in 1931 by H. M. Reddy, a pioneer in Indian film industry. It is a movie about a devotee Prahlada in Hindu mythology.
made first Indian talki movie Alam Ara
in Hindi in 1921. Hanumappa Muniappa Reddy (well known as H. M. Reddy) was assistant director to movie. With the encouragement of Irani, H. M. Reddy planned to make a telugu talkie.
Prahalada was one of the successful dramas being played on stage by Surabhi telugu drama troupe in those days. The team was under supervision of C.S.R. Anjaneyulu, who later became a famous telugu actor. H.M. Reddy brought entire drama team to bombay and made the movie on the same set of Alam Ara. Among the cast in the movie, L. V. Prasad and Kamalabai became famous telugu film personalities.
- See The Story of Narasimha and Prahlada for original story.
Darmavaram Ramakrishnamacharyulu had written a telugu drama for Surabhi drama group. The drama had been played many times and was successful.
- Producer - H. M. Reddy under Krishna Movies banner.
- Director - C. S. R. and H. M. Reddy
- Background Music - H. R. PadmaNabha Sastri.
- Dailogues - Darmavaram Ramakrishnamacharyulu.
- Lyrics : Chandala Kesavadasu
- Camera : Govardhanabai Patel
- Studios: Imperial studio in bombay.
- Hiranya Kasapa - Munipalli Subbhaiah, also known as Valluru Subbaiah.
- Prahlada - Krishna Rao
- Leelavathi - Surabhi Kamalabai
- Moddabbai, friend of Prahlada and foolish son of Teacher - L. V. Prasad
- Indra - Dorasami Naidu.
- Remaining characters - B. V. Subbarao and Chitrapu Narasimha Rao.