Age of The Romans
There is good evidence that a "Hof" (cluster of buildings) in the Lieblosen-Valley dates back to the time when the Romans governed the territory, as can be seen by an ancient supporting wall embracing the living quarters and two economy buildings. A spectacular finding was discovered when a military tile was unearthed showing the imprint of the 11th and 21st legion was well as the 26th cohort, indicating the presence of a corps of volunteers made up of Roman citizens. Similar tiles have been found in Windisch, Bechtersbohl, and Baden-Baden. Further indications of a Roman presence is a complex of walls found near the Aasheimer-Hof in Beringen (See: History of Canton of Shaffhausen, 1901, p.45).
Beringen Then and Now
A village is a result of diverse influences. For Beringen, this was the water, or the city creek. Without water, there was no life; water attracted people. Water drove mills in Beringen, such as the flour mill (no longer in operation), the gypsum mill (replaced by homes), and the so-called Oele (now the site of the municipal swimming pool). Water was needed for the dye-shops in the former Doktorhaus (house for Doctors, now a business establishment). Along the banks of the town creek, people washed everything, including pails, troughs, and related objects. The creek also served as drinking water for livestock, and was the only help in case of a fire.
Naturally, the first settlers established themselves close to the creek, one house next to the other. Two rows of houses formed the original village. When fire consumed one of the houses, it was not replaced; instead, a building for public use was erected. This made it possible that six or more households could be supplied with water instead of only one or two. The best and best-preserved example of this is the Leunhof, a well-known restaurant. Others are the Huggehof, Chloesteril, Kellerhof, Vogelhof, and Paradieserhof, Prinzenhof, and the Winkel. The Chelhof stands close to the church and far away from the creek, next to the well.
Today, Beringen's creek is now covered over. Water is supplied through an extensive system of pipes, large blocks for apartments and businesses have been erected, new buildings with small industries, and there are only a few agricultural buildings and outfits existing.
Beringen's History is in its Buildings
There many notable old building that still exist in Beringen:
There might be other old buildings in the town as well.
1090 AD - Bartholdes de Berinin: witness in a trade involving Beringen.
1102-1112 AD - First mentioning of a Chono de Beringen in a Charter.
1150 AD - Lutfridus and Guntherrus de Beringen-witnesses in a legal dispute between St. Blasien and Allerheiligen involving Mount Staufen.
1568 AD - Beginning of ore excavation on the Laufenberg (Mount Laufen) until the year 1850. Note: blast furnace located at Jestetten, and 1614 near the Rhine Falls.
1835 AD - Election of the first village of Town Council.
. Hans Wäschle, Beringen Switzerland
"Why I Chose A Swiss Grandfather", Edith M. Faulstich, 1945, ULR of Story, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STAMPS_AEF/message/117
Alice M. Fisher-Granddaughter of Edith M. Faulstich-Fisher-> Vanderpoel descendant of the Conrad Bollinger Family from Beringen.