Beckley is a small village and in the civil parish of Beckley and Stowood, about 10 miles east from the centre of Oxford. It consists of a village hall, farm shop and gastropub, the Abingdon Arms. It is also famous for its towering TV mast. Nearby the remains of a Roman Villa have been found, with the remains currently in the Ashmolean Museum.
The manor of Beckley was once held by the Izard family, who purchased the rectory in 1568. Memorials in Beckley church to the family include one dedicated to John Izard, 'Spanish merchant,' who died in 1694. Dorothy Izard of this family married the Rev. Nicholas Levet (Levett), minister of Westbourne, West Sussex and fellow of Balliol College, Oxford. The Izard family eventually sold the rectory in which they had resided to the Duke of Bedford The Izard family also held the nearby manor of Charlton-on-Otmoor.