is a Shōjo manga
series by mangaka Kiyoko Arai
. It recently completed its run in Ciao magazine
. Beauty Pop
is published in English by VIZ Media
under the Shojo Beat
label and in French by Soleil Manga
. The manga is about the life of a naturally talented hairstylist
named Kiri Koshiba, and her problems with the "Scissors Project," a group of boys determined to become the best makeover team in Japan. Beauty Pop
went on a short hiatus from Ciao
, but came back under the title Beauty Pop Stage 2
. The series has also been adapted to a Drama CD
which was released on 25 November 2004
While the three members of the popular "Scissors Project" (often shortened to "S.P" throughout the manga) are known for giving elaborate makeovers to already-beautiful, hand-picked girls at school, they soon find a rival, Kiri Koshiba, who is willing to give makeovers to anyone, in order to brighten their lives and make them happier with their appearance.
Kiri Koshiba had no intention of revealing her talents as a hairstylist, but the Scissors Project is determined to expose her and bring her into the world of hairstyling because of her incredible talent.
:Voiced by: Junko Minagawa
- A naturally gifted hair stylist with a strong sense of justice, leading her to give makeovers to girls with certain problems and giving them, as she puts it, "a little magic." Her family owns a beauty salon. She cut her own hair in a layered bob as a result of accidentally cutting her mother's ear while styling her hair when she was younger, causing it to bleed. The accident left Kiri with a mental scar which continues to haunt her, at the time going as far as to quit hairdressing, although she appears to have mostly recovered. She is nicknamed "Mussy Head" by Narumi due to her hairstyle. Kiri tends to be extremely laid back and absent minded, a trait which is a constant irritation to Narumi whose personality is a complete opposite. Their relationship is rocky at first but Kiri seems to have warmed to him after he saved Shampoo from getting run over by a bicycle in volume 3, consequently damaging his wrist. Kiri is a young girl that Narumi lost to in 4th grade, which was revealed in volume 5. The reason she didn't compete again the next year was because of a rule that required participants to draw a sketch of their hairstyle, and Kiri is terrible at drawing. Though she was initially confused about what she wanted to do with her future, she seems to have decided to become a beautician, but has no interest in pursuing fame with her talent like the three original members of the Scissor Project are. In Beauty Pop Stage 2, she joins the Scissor Project as Narumi's assistant hairdresser. In volume 9, it reveals that Kiri has a fear of cockroaches and the dark. :Voiced by: Tomokazu Seki (Drama CD)
- The vain, handsome, and temperamental main hair stylist of the Scissor Project. Although he is fiercely competitive in comparison to the majority of the other characters, he is the most amenable member of his own family. He is extremely hot-tempered, especially towards Kiri, but does have a sweet side which he rarely shows. He aims to be the top hair-stylist in Japan and has won every national hairstyling competition of seven years. The only time he has ever lost a competition is ten years ago, when he was defeated by a mysterious little girl 'Number 17'. It later transpires that the girl was in fact Kiri. Though this initially damages their already rocky relationship, Narumi later seems to develop feelings for her, having romantic dreams about her and even accidentally kissing her at the end of volume 8, much to Ochiai and Chisami's annoyance. He even stayed with Kiri to comfort her and watch over the house in volume 9. He is extremely popular with girls and they constantly clamor for his attention but he doesn't appear to be interested. Part of the reason is because he has a slight fear of girls, because since he was young, they treated him like a toy, and suffocated him with too much attention. According to Chisami, Narumi breaks in to hives when he touches females. However, it seems that the only girl he can touch is Kiri, without breaking in to hives later on in the series. In chapter 39, when Narumi's father thinks that his son is on a date with Kiri, he yells, "Shou-chan associating with that person...! Liking that person...! How can this beeeee?!" Narumi replies with, "Sh-Shut up! That's irrelevant!" Billy notes that Narumi didn't deny it. A small omake from the end of volume 8 shows Narumi and Kiri in married life, with their children; fraternal twins. :Voiced by: Hiro Shimono (Drama CD)
- The member of the Scissors Project that does nail art. Kei is playful and is often seen eating junk food and candy. Kei likes to come up with nicknames for his friends like 'Naru-Naru' and 'Narurin' for Narumi while he calls Ochiai 'Occhi'. He also serves as emcee for any Scissors Project event, announcing the model and occasionally commenting while Narumi cuts. He hardly ever wears his school uniform and often wears a visor sideways on his head. It is later shown that Kei is not good at spelling, he got a "5%" on his spelling test. This is why, one time, a Scissor Project's project on one girl failed, because he spelled Komasu incorrectly. Kei is actually very mysterious and he doesn't reveal much about himself. In a small omake, when Kiri and the gang are all eating over at Narumi's house, Ochiai thinks that this way, Kiri is technically attending an SP meeting, which was his secret goal. Kei suddenly comes up to Ochiai and says "Now that Kiri is here, our goals have been realized!" This causes Ochiai to wonder whether Kei is just acting stupid, or just really doesn't know what is going on. Somehow, Kei has the ability to know what and when things happen, even if he wasn't there (including Narumi's dreams about Kiri). His snooping sense is even better than Ochiai's.
:Voiced by: Aoki Makoto
- The overall beauty consultant of the group. He is the brains behind the operation and acts like a human computer, with "data" on every girl in the school. He's at the top of his class. He also used to have a rather "old-man" hairstyle until he meets Narumi who then gives Ochiai his current Hairstyle. Ochiai loves to mess with Narumi and is often scheming. Later on in the story it seems that he develops a crush on Kiri. He chases after her and even has Kiri's picture as his cell phone's wallpaper. When he was in middle school, his parents owned a company called Alix Cosmetic Corporation that was, in his opinion, "doing well, even though it was not a well-known enterprise." He has an older sister and younger brother, and all his family members wear glasses, even his bird. :Voiced by: Masayo Kurata (Drama CD)
- A friend of Kiri's who admires her talents. Kanako tends to be quite shy and bookish. When she was rejected by Kazuhiko Ochiai, Kiri gave her a makeover to teach the Scissor Project a lesson. Kanako still likes Ochiai, but is uncertain with how to act when she discovers that Ochiai likes Kiri after seeing that he has a picture of Kiri on his cell phone. She ends up with Kenichiro. :Voiced by: Hiroshi Shimozaki (Drama CD)
- Kiri's childhood friend and neighbor. Kiri calls him "Shimatarou" or "Taro-Tard", which annoys him very much. Taro is a big fan of the Scissor Project and wants to be a beautician because of them, even though he lacks the skill. He works part-time at his family's store, "The Komatsu 88 yen store." He is very nosy and knows everything that goes on around the school. Most other people find him to be annoying.
- Kiri's fat pet cat. Shampoo was first a stray who would not trust anyone, having a bad past. When she met Kiri, Shampoo scratched her hand. However, she realizes that Kiri was not like the other people that she had seen, who had been mean and heartless. Shampoo shed tears and was taken home by Kiri.
- Kiri's childhood friend who recently moved back to Japan from New York. His father specializes in making aromatherapy oils and perfumes. He is apparently in love with Kiri's mom and is very affectionate of Kiri. Iori first appears in volume 2. He seems to sometimes speak broken Japanese, talking sometimes in English. :Voiced by: Mitsuaki Hoshino (Drama CD)
- Kiri's father owns "Koshiba Beauty Salon" and was the one to train Kiri in the art of hairstyling. Seiji used to be an idol among hairstylists in his generation and he always defeated Shogo Narumi's father in competitions, but had left the spotlight once he had gotten married. Kiri looked up to her father when she was younger and she wanted to cut hair like him, so Kiri gained the speed cutting skills from her dad. He also wishes for Kiri to become a beautician like him.
- Kiri's mother is a famous special effects make-up artist in Hollywood. Even after years of being so far apart, Emi and Seiji's marriage has never been strained and the two keep in touch through email. Despite being a kind person, she turns very fierce once someone threatens Kiri, as well as somewhat unreasonable. In volume 4, Kiri finds herself haunted by a memory where she accidentally cut her mother's ear with scissors. Iori usually calls her by the name "Emily."
- Kiri's childhood friend. He is highly regarded as part of the "Seki Clinic" which specialises in invigorating massage. He helps Kiri regain her composure in a tight spot (vol.4) and is like an older brother to her. He tends to apologize often. Kenichiro ends up with Kiri's good friend Kanako.
- Shogo's cute little sister, who Kiri indifferently "saves" one day when her hair was tangled in a bush. Because of this, Chisami seems to think that Kiri is her "Prince Charming" (as she had thought Kiri was a boy). She later finds out that Kiri is a girl, but she still admires her and refers to her as "Prince-sama".
- A famous hairstylist from LA who is always shown with headphones around his neck. He has "annoying" bangs that Kiri wants so badly to cut. He framed Kiri for ruining the Scissor Project's club room, but eventually gets found out. Billy takes a liking to her, as she didn't blame him for the things he did. He works for Narumi's dad and is extremely clingy towards Kiri, which makes Narumi even more hot tempered than usual. Billy also wants to take the legendary Golden Scissors away from Kiri.