is a designated area (an unincorporated hamlet
) in southern Alberta
, in the Municipal District of Rocky View
. The area is mostly residential and is comprised largely of acreages
Bearspaw is located northwest of the city of Calgary and east of the Town of Cochrane, on Highway 1A. The Bearspaw area is immediately east of the Glendale community in the Municipal District of Rocky View.
A Canadian Pacific Railway station was established at Bearspaw in 1879 and was named after Chief Masgwaahsid, or Bear’s Paw, who signed the treaty at Blackfoot Crossing, September 22, 1877.
- *Karamitsanis, Aphrodite (1992). Place Names of Alberta – Volume II, Southern Alberta, University of Calgary Press, Calgary, Alberta.
- *Read, Tracey (1983). Acres and Empires – A History of the Municipal District of Rocky View, Calgary, Alberta.