The home itself is made up of six sections. The earliest of which is the original brick house built in 1789. This original house is built in the Federalist style with a Flemish bond. Along the north side of the brick house, a simple frame house was added in 1798. A stone kitchen was added in 1823, a State Dining Room in 1895, a south bedroom wing was finished in 1902, and the servant's quarters were added in 1903.
The house was designated a National Historic Landmark on January 12, 1965, and was therefore administratively listed on the National Register of Historic Places with its establishment on October 15, 1966. The national historic site was established on November 10, 1978, and is administered under Fort Necessity National Battlefield.