Founded in 1980 in a Grade II* listed building which originally opened in 1893 as Battersea Town Hall and converted to a community arts centre in 1974, the building was designed in 1891, by E. W. Mountford. It currently receives a grant towards the building's operating costs from the London Borough of Wandsworth.
In 1901 a large pipe organ was installed in the Grand Hall. This was an unusual instrument designed by Robert Hope-Jones, a pioneering (and at the time controversial) organ builder who invented many aspects of the modern pipe organ. His ideas went on to form the basis of the Wurlitzer Theatre organ in the 1920s and 30s. The BAC pipe organ has been unusable for years but work has now started to restore it.
David Jubb has been the organisation's artistic director since 2004. David is one of subsidised theatre's most respected producers and is a pioneer of 'creative producing' in the industry. Creative producing underlines BAC's artistic philosophy and, as such, has been the basis of creating one of theatre's most ground-breaking artistic programmes. In 2008 he is joined by David Micklem with whom he shares the Joint Artistic Directorship of BAC.
Companies and artists performing at BAC have included