Batoche, Saskatchewan was the site of the historic Battle of Batoche during the Northwest Rebellion of 1885. The battle resulted in the defeat of Louis Riel and his Métis forces by Major General Frederick Middleton and his Northwest Field Force.
The Métis settlement of Batoche (named after Xavier Letendre dit Batoche) was established in 1872. By 1885 it numbered 500 people. The Metis of the area settled on river lots, and the community contained several stores as well as the Roman Catholic Church of St. Antoine de Padoue at the time of the Rebellion. Batoche was the de-facto capital of Riel's Provisional Government of Saskatchewan.
Batoche is a Southbranch Settlement. It is situated mainly along the east bank of the South Saskatchewan River between St. Laurent and Fish Creek, Saskatchewan. This area is part of the aspen parkland biome.
This village consisted mostly of Francophones and Roman-Catholics.
Batoche was declared a National Historic Site in 1923.
|North: St. Laurent de Grandin|
|West: Duck Lake||Batoche||East: Bellevue|
|South: Fish Creek|