- This is not the sub-clan of Quraish, for that, see Banu Taim
or Banu Tamim
or Banu Tameem
(بنو تميم) is one of the largest of all Arab
tribes. The tribe's history goes back to pre-Islamic
times, known as Banu Taym
, a sub-clan of Quraysh. Today millions descend from the tribe in the Arabian Peninsula
and neighboring countries such as Iraq
. The word Tamim in Arabic means strong and solid.
The Bani Tamīm are located primarily in Najd
(Central Saudi Arabia), central and southern Iraq
) and the Iranian
province of Khuzestan
and in south and north of Yemen [Hadramot, and Taiz city]. Members of this tribe are commonly identifiable by the surnames of "Al-Tamimi" or "al-Tamīmī", which can be spelled as "Al-Timimi" or "Al-Temimi" in reflection of the local accent.
The tribe's progenitor Tamīm or Taym ibn Murrah ibn Ka'ab is said to have lived in the 1st century CE and is reported to have met one of Jesus Christ's disciples. Kilab who is Taym's brother, is an ancestor of Prophet Muhammad. Notable persons from Banu Taym were Abu Bakr and Talha ibn Ubayd-Allah Through their ancestor Tamīm, the tribe traces its lineage to Adnan and the prophets Ishmael and Abraham.Nowadays Tamim is the largest arabic tribe.
Banu Taym or Banu Tamim converted to Islam in the eighth year after the Hijra. In an Islamic hadith, Prophet Muhammad remarked that the Tamīm tribe would be the most vigorous of his community in fighting the Dajjal (the Antichrist), an evil figure in Islamic eschatology.
Among the tribe's famous personalities:
Saudi Tamimi Tribes
These families are from the four major sects of the Tamim Tribe,
- Amr bin Tamim
- Hanthalah bin Tamim
- Saad bin Tamim
The Banu Tamim are an extremely large tribe. Their numbers were and still are quite impressive, most were scattered all over Central Najd (Saudi Arabia), and now due to the growing economy of the country they have moved to all corners of the country.
Well known Tamimi Personalities and families
- Al Buainain - Based in Qatar and Bahrain
- Al-Afnan - (Located in Hail and some Eastern Province, Famous Figure Prince Dawas Bin Afnan the fighter of the BrotherHood Movement (Alakhwan) Before Al Saud Ruling)
- Al- AlShaikh - the house of Muhammad ibn 'Abd al-Wahhāb (d. 1792 C.E.); lives mostly in Riyadh, originally from Uyainah.
- Al-Nawaser - Probably the Largest branch of Banu Amr bin Tamim, which consists of many different families who are descendants of Abbad bin Alhussayen bin Abbad (a famous knight in the Umayyid dynasty). This branch mainly consists of educators and scholars and hold prominent positions all throughout history. Such as:
- Al-Khamis - The owners of the village Atar.
- Al-Unaqir - (Al-Angari), which is a large branch of Banu Saad of Banu Tamim tribe, lived in a village called Tharmada'a at Najd hundreds years ago and from there they scattered to many places. Nowadays, several families derive from "Al-Angari" such as:
- Al-Moammar: ruling family of Uyayna and Sudais for over two centuries
- Al-Ulayyan: ruling family of Buraydah many years ago. Nowadays, several families derive from them such as Al-Shubaily, Al-Hasan, Al-Hujailan, Al-Foraih and Al-Sunaidy.
- Al-Whabah - The branch of which Al-Shaikh, Al-Buainain of Jubail, Aba-Hussain of Ushaigar, Al-Abanumay (majma'ah and Ghat) and Al-khadi (Unaizah) among others. A branch of Al-Rabbab. Al-Whabah were the rulers of the town of ushaiger in the washm area. Al-Whabah is known to be the largest branch In the tribe in number. This branch has prominent leaders in today's world, such family's as:
- Al Matham
- AL-Abadel-which belong to Abdullah bin Darm who had lived before the appearnce of Islam, there are branches,which are branch from Hotah bani Tamim and the other which called Abu Al Ainain. The most famous families from Hotah bani Tamim today are:
- AL Twuim
- AL Hotan
- AL Tammami
- AL Suais
- AL Humidat
- AL Ameery
- AL Jamil
- AL Shaalan
- AL Huramel
- AL Badeely
- AL Humais
- AL Ghnnaam
- AL Khatrash
- AlMazaree'e - A branch of Amr bin Tamim of which:
- Al-Madhi the ruling family of Rawdat Sdair, Al-Muhaideb, Al-Numay, Al-Romaizan, & Almejmaj among many others belong to.
- AL Mahmood family known for muslim scholars,Branch of the tribe based in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Bahrain
found in Sahih Bukhari
- "I have loved the people of the tribe of Bani Tamim, ever since I heard three things the Messenger of Allah said about them. I heard him saying, 'These people (of the tribe of Bani Tamim) would stand firm against the Dajjal.' When the charitable gifts from that tribe came, the Messenger of Allah said, 'These are the charitable gifts of our folk.' A'ishah had a slave girl from that tribe, and the Prophet said to A'ishah, 'Manumit her, as she is a descendant of Ishmael.'"
Also from Musnad Imam Ahmed:
- "Say nothing but good of the Bani Tamim, for they indeed are the severest of people in attacking the Dajjal."
The Prophet Mohammed once said,
Whomever claims descent from a person not his father, or from a tribe not his own, will receive God's repetitive damnation until the day of judgment.
- '"قال رسول الله : "من ادعى لغير أبيه أو انتمى لغير مواليه؛ فعليه لعنة الله المتتابعة إلى يوم القيامة
In Nahj ul Balagha Letter 18 Hazrat Ali(R.A) says:
"Remember that bani tamim is such a clan that their star has not set as yet, amongst them if one great man dies there is another to take his place. Remember that after embracing Islam and even during pre-Islamic days these people were never regarded as mean, jealous or covetous. On the contrary, they had a very high status. Besides they have claims of kinship and friendship with us. If we behave kindly, patiently and sympathetically towards them Allah will reward us. But if we ill-treat them we shall be sinning."