Set in a building dating back to the World War II period, the museum offers an insight into the lifestyles of middle-class Bangkokians during World War II and its aftermath (1937-1957).
The museum was originally the home of the Suravadee family which was built in 1937, but was converted to the Bangkok Folk Museum to preserve the lifestyle of early Bangkok and the history of Bangrak district. On 1 October 2004, the museum fell under the management of the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority.
The museum consists of two main two-storey buildings and a garden. In an upstairs room of the first, there is an ancestors’ quarters which displays many of the relics of original family members these include the old Benjarong jar made from Thai porcelain in five basic colors, from the King Rama V period (1858 – 1910). Some of the other porcelain pieces in the Bangkok Folk Museum are from the early Rattanakosin era.
The second building in the Bangkok Folk Museum is at the rear and was once intended to be the home and clinic of Dr. Francis Christian, the stepfather of the owner, but Christian had died before he could move in. Notable displays are his cigar collection, and various stoves dating back to the early 20th century. One display has an old Bangkokian kitchen from the war period. Another room displays sanitation and toilet facilities during the war and has two toilets standing next to each other.