Balderton is one of the largest villages in Nottinghamshire, although it may be more properly considered a suburb of Newark on Trent. Balderton is split into Balderton ('Old Balderton'- the southern part of the village) and New Balderton, both of a roughly equal size. The eighteenth-century maps of Bowen and Owen say "Balderton vulgo Bodderton."
The soil is mostly alluvial clays. Large deposits of gravel and sand were excavated in New Balderton - the resulting pits have now turned into a park. Gypsum was once mined nearby. The surrounding area is mostly agricultural, mixed arable and livestock.
In the Domesday Book (1086) the place is called Baldretune and is described as a berewick (a dependent hamlet) of Newark. In the pope Nicholas IV taxatio of 1291 it is spelt Baldirton.
Balderton's Lords, the Busseys, lived in the area in William the Conqueror's era and held it until the reign of Elizabeth I. It subsequently descended to the Meers and Lascels. In the 1840s, when its population was a little over 1,000, large parts of the village were owned principally by the Duke of Newcastle, who was lord of the manor.
Two petitions of the fourteenth century show disputes with the nearby village of Claypole. In 1305 the bishop of Lincoln and the Busseys were hindering passage along the road to Newark market (National Archives S8/161/8038) and in 1324 the people of Claypole petitioned about Balderton people attacking jurors in relation to the Oldebrigg between Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire (National Archives S8/39/1930). The will of John de Boston, a mercer of Newark, in 1443 left twenty shillings for the maintenance of the bridge between Balderton and Bennington; the bridge was called "fennebrige" (Brown (1907) 1.172).
Grapes were once grown at Balderton. In 1578 there were accusations of vines being cut down (Brown (1907) 1.188).
During the final siege of Newark in the Civil War Colonel Rossiter, a parliamentary commander, was camped at Balderton.
A Balderton enclosure act was passed in 1766.
London Road was built in about 1790 as a turnpike (bypass) for the Great North Road (designated the A1 in 1934) which ran through Balderton and to the north of England. One of the former coachouses built to serve the turnpike is now a public house.
A windmill at Balderton was recorded as having been removed c. 1845. It was a postmill on a 2-storey roundhouse, with 2 spring and 2 common sails. A windmill was recorded on the Old Series Ordnance Survey map on a site close to Spring Lane (). In 1901 Simpson and Co opened their pump manufacturing works at Balderton; it was subsequently Worthington Simpson in 1917 and from 2001 Flowserve Pumps Ltd. Their products are used in the chemical, water, and pharmaceutical industries.
Pre-Roman and Roman sites have been noted in English Heritage's Pastscape records for Balderton, along with two Civil War sites.
A few children from the village went from the primary school to the grammar schools in Newark, the numbers increasing after the 1944 education act. Some children at thirteen went to the technical college in Newark.
Balderton Old Boys also are a local football team.
A large private house on the southern outskirts of the village built 1840 for Thomas Spragging Godfrey. Godfrey became sheriff of Nottinghamshire in 1853 (Times 9 February 1853, page 3) and died at Balderton Hall on 7 September 1877. The hall was advertised for sale in the Times in November 1880: house, stables, cottages for gardener and groom, and 135 acres, the remaining 425 acres to be sold separately.
It was bought in 1930 by Nottinghamshire county council for conversion to a mental hospital but work on this stopped during World War II. The hospital was opened for patients in 1957 and closed in 1993. There is now housing on the former hospital site and nearby is the Fernwood business park.
During World War II, Balderton Airfield, opened in 1941, became home to RAF bombers and Sir Frank Whittle, inventor of the jet engine, lived and worked on his engine designs at Balderton Hall.
For more on the former Balderton airfield see RAF Balderton.
BROWN Cornelius (1879) The annals of Newark upon Trent: H Sotheran, London and S Whiles, Newark (reprinted 2005). Available for free download at www.archive.org/
BROWN Cornelius (1904, 1907) A history of Newark on Trent: S Whiles, Newark (reprinted 1995 (two volumes)
WEA/Balderton Local History Group (1992)Balderton in times past
Balderton Parish Council (1994) Balderton updated