Bacoachi is located southeast of Cananea and has boundaries in the north with Naco, in the east with Fronteras, in the southeast with Nacozari, in the southwest with Arizpe and in the east with Cananea. See maps at or
The territory was originally inhabited by the Opata Teguima Indians, who called their settlement "Cuchibaciachi". In 1649 Captain Simón Lazo de la Vega founded a Spanish town in the same spot. The name means "water snake" in the indigenous language.
Most of the land is mountainous belonging to the Sierra de Sonora. There are still pine forests and a rich variety of fauna, including coyotes, jaguars, deer, raccoons, wild pigs, skunks, owls, among others.
The population has been decreasing due to immigration to the United States of America.
There are few roads but the municipality is connected to the capital, Hermosillo, by the Hermosillo-Cananea highway.