is a municipality in the county of Sør-Trøndelag
Klæbu was established as a municipality January 1, 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). Tiller was separated from Klæbu January 1, 1899.
Klæbu is an inland municipality situated 20 kilometres south of the city of Trondheim. While agriculture traditionally used to be the primary trade, Klæbu nowadays functions more as a suburb to Trondheim, where many of Klæbu's inhabitants work or attend school.
The Nidelva river
, which runs through Klæbu, is a large source of hydroelectric power with a total of 3 power stations within the municipality borders.
The Old Norse
form of the name was Kleppabú
. The first element is the plural genitive case of kleppr
m 'rocky hill', the last element is bú
n 'rural district'.
The coat-of-arms is from modern times (1983). The motive symbolizes what used to be the Trangfossen waterfall along the Nidelva river. The waterfall is no longer visible as that part of the river became part of Bjørsjøen
lake after the building of the dam at Hyttfossen