is one of the ten medieval Carthusian
houses (charterhouses) in England
. It was established in 1397
by Thomas Mowbray
, Earl of Nottingham
. The house was centred around a pre-existing chapel at Low Melwood
in the Isle of Axholme
. The full name of the house was The House of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The house was suppressed as part of the dissolution of the monasteries in June 1538.
The charterhouse was converted into a house after it was suppressed and parts still survive as do some earthworks. There has been limited excavation.
- Glyn Coppack and Mick Aston, nd: Christ's Poor Men - the Carthusians in England ISBN 0 7524 1961 7