The town came into being initially as a resting place for bullock teams lying at the convergence of three bullock tracks from Morven, Tambo, and Charleville. Originally called Burenda it was renamed Ellangowan (still the name of the local watering hole) and when gazetted in 1883 called Augathella. A service centre sprang up to service their needs and the needs of the burgeoning grazing industry. The town's service centre was bypassed by the new Matilda Highway during the 1980s. Some new businesses have slowly encroched back onto the highway frontage. There is a growing arts centre in the town, a public swimming pool, a bowls club and there is an annual rodeo. Augathella has some polocrosse teams.
Today, grazing is still the predominant industry of the area. The town is situated on the Warrego River (an Aboriginal word meaning river of sand).
HORSE RIDERS, RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYERS, NETBALLERS, OTHER SPORTS PARTICIPANTS FROM WARREGO TO BENEFIT FROM $33,000 FUNDS
Jul 07, 2010; BRISBANE, Qld., July 7 -- The Honourable Phil Reeves, Minister for Child Safety and Minister for Sport issued the following...