The Pillars Publication is the official tertiary student publication of the Ateneo de Naga University. The publication was founded in 1963.
In 1940, at the invitation of Bishop (later Archbishop) Pedro P. Santos of Caceres, the Ateneo de Naga was founded as a Jesuit school for boys, with Fr. Francis D. Burns, S.J. as the Rector. The classes were first held in the building formerly used by the Camarines Sur Catholic academy (now the Naga Parochial School). Meanwhile the construction of the new school building, dominated by the now well-known facade of four pillars, began. In December 1941 the small band of Jesuit moved to their new residence on campus and were preparing to transfer classes to the newly finished structures after the Christmas holidays, when suddenly on 8 December the Pacific War broke out.
When the Japanese Imperial Forces came to Naga, they imprisoned the Jesuits (except Bro. Sergio Adriatico, S.J., the lone Filipino among them), occupied the Ateneo de Naga, and converted it into the local Fort Santiago. As soon as Philippine independence was restored in 1946, the high school classes were resumed.
On 1 June 1947 the Ateneo de Naga was granted by the Department of Education full recognition as a standard four-year high school. On 5 June 1947 the College was opened with 87 male student. On 26 October 1953 the Ateneo College became coeducational with the admission of five women.
The steady growth of the Ateneo called for new structures for governance. Thus the 1940 Articles of Incorporation were amended and new By-laws adopted in 1979, transferring the school's highest governing authority to the Board of Trustees, majority of whom have been Jesuits.
Through its more than half a century of existence, the Ateneo has made significant breakthroughs and has suffered serious setbacks. Economic difficulties during the Martial Law years led to a dip in the college enrollment. But as the school marked its Golden Jubilee in 1990, there began a remarkable turn-around and recovery. The Graduate School, which had had a brief existence in the seventies, was revived in 1993.
In 1979, the College and the HIgh School were the first in Camarines Sur to be accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU). They were accredited for the third time in 1992. In 1991 the Department of Education, Culture, and Sports placed the Ateneo in its list of 18 excellent universities and colleges in the country.
The 90s was a decade of development. The Ateneo implemented CORPLAN 2000. A vigorous faculty development program enabled faculty members to earn graduate degrees. An endownment Fund was establishment for scholarships and professorial chairs. Standards were upgraded. New courses were offered. Centers and institutes were established. New buildings were constructed. Enrollment increased. In 1997 the college was broken into four colleges: Arts and Sciences, Commerce, Education, and Information Technology and Engineering.
On February 20, 1999 the Commission on Higher Education conferred the Ateneo de Naga, with the late Fr. Raul J. Bonoan, S.J. as the first university president.
Last August 28, 1999 Fr. Joel E. Tabora, S.J. was installed as the second university president. Current Events CHED Grants Autonomous Status to ADNU; College of Education is Center of Excellence
The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) granted autonomous status to the Ateneo de Naga University last June 2, 2008 and designated its College of Education as a Center of Excellence in Teacher Education. The news was relayed to AdNU President, Fr. Joel E. Tabora, S.J. by CHED Commissioner Nenalyn Defensor.
In accordance with RA 7722, CHED supervises nationwide some 1,500 private higher education institutions (PHEIs) offering some 978 academic programs with combined enrollment of over 1.6 million students. The sheer scope of this mandate led CHED, beginning in 2001, to rationalize its supervision by implementing progressive deregulation through the grant of deregulated or autonomous status to deserving PHEIs. At present, the selection of deregulated or autonomous PHEIs is based on three general criteria, namely: (1) long tradition of integrity and untarnished reputation, (2) commitment to excellence as evidenced by accreditation of academic programs and presence of Centers of Development or Excellence and other quality assurance indicators, and (3) sustainability and viability of operations.
AdNU was among the first batch of 22 PHEIs granted deregulated status in 2001, initially for a period of five years but subsequently extended to June 2007. As a condition of the grant, these 22 PHEIs were evaluated in April 2007 to determine the withdrawal or retention of the special status. The evaluation resulted to the renewal of deregulated status for another five years or until November 14, 2012 of only two schools - ADNU included.
Having robust quality assurance systems and guided by its corporate plan, AdNU continuously pressed on for more achievements. In March 2007, the College of Computer Studies was designated by CHED as a Center of Development in Information Technology Education for a period of three years until December 31, 2010. In SY 2007 – 2008, AdNU racked up additional impressive performances. Two alumni – Ben Secretario and Julie Del Valle were honored among the Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines (TOSP) of 2007. Its College of Engineering earned the distinction of being the 2nd top performing school in the January 2008 licensure examinations for civil engineers given by the PRC while the College of Commerce was designated by CHED as a Center of Development in Business Administration and in Entrepreneurship in December 2007. With the latter achievements, ADNU submitted a new application to CHED for the grant of autonomous status last April 25, 2008 even as it awaits the outcome of its application for the designation of its College of Education as Center of Excellence in Teacher Education. This year, AdNU joins only 10 other PHEIs nationwide granted autonomy for a period of five years while being the only one in Southern Luzon and among the four in the country outside of Metro Manila.
As a PHEI granted autonomous status, ADNU shall enjoy some special privileges. Among these are the exemption from the issuance of Special Order (S.O.) for its graduates, freedom from the regular monitoring and evaluation by CHED, priority in the grant of subsidies and other financial incentives from CHED, privilege to determine and prescribe curricular programs to achieve global competence, privilege to offer new courses/programs in the undergraduate or graduate levels and privilege to establish branches or satellite campuses without securing government authority from CHED.
The entire AdNU Community will declare a day of thanksgiving and celebration on June 17, 2008.