, consist of Eman Lam
and Ellen Joyce Loo
, is a Hong Kong
and folktronica girl band
managed under production company People Mountain People Sea
Both Loo and Lam are involved considerably in the songwriting and production for their albums. Loo plays the guitar and piano, and Lam plays the guitar and various percussion instruments. Their style may be best described as Folktronica
Loo and Lam met each other at a singing competition called "Original Music 2000" (原音2000) held by Tom Lee Music Hong Kong , where Loo won the 3rd Prize and Lam won the 2nd Prize. They were the youngest participants. Together as a team, they started performing at university campuses and other local tertiary institutions. After about a year, they were discovered by Anthony Wong Yiu Ming, the chairman of the music production company People Mountain People Sea and a renowned singer of the 90's. Lam and Loo was then signed by the company on 1 January 2002, and the group was named at17.
The duo was invited to Amsterdam and performed as part of the Hong Kong China Festival in 2005. From April 2006 to March 2007, they were appointed as MCs for TVB's popular weekly music show Jade Solid Gold and frequently performed live in the show.
Their first mega concert Sing Sing Sing 2006 took place at AsiaWorld-Expo on 30 September 2006. Subsequently, they held a series of mini live shows called Just the two of us at Shouson Theatre, Hong Kong Arts Centre from 1 March 2007 to 1 May 2007, where they performed the songs of other artists.
About the name
The group name at17 was derived from the song "At Seventeen", a bittersweet commentary on adolescent cruelty and teenage angst, sang by one of Lam’s favourite singers Janis Ian
. Inspired by the song, a lot of at17's songs express teenage girls' sentiments, but in a slightly optimistic way. The style of their songs has shown some influences from Janis Ian as well.
- 903 California Red: Eleven Fires Concert (10 September 2004)
- Twins x at17 Live in Music (23 September 2005)
- Sing Sing Sing Live in Concert 2006 (Dec 2006)
- I learned the chords at seventeen, collection of 22 originals guitar scores from at17's songs, transcribed by Ellen Joyce Loo in both standard notation and guitar tablature. 2005, published by People Mountain People Sea / Kubrick, Hong Kong, ISBN 988-97905-7-2
- Do I have problem or not ? (我有冇問題?), proses collection in Chinese language, written by at17, 2005, published by Youth Culture (青春文化) , Hong Kong, ISBN 988-98445-7-5.
- Tom Lee Music - In 2005, at17 became the first artist/band ever employed by Tom Lee Music for advertisement. Apart from a sum of consideration, a term of the contract also allows the duo to 'take whatever instruments they want' from any Tom Lee Music retail shop.