is a glacier
) wide and 10 miles
) long, flowing north-northeast from the continental ice and terminating at the coast in a prominent tongue at the east side of Geologie Archipelago
. It was probably first sighted in 1840 by the French expedition under Captain Jules Dumont d'Urville
, although no glaciers were noted on d'Urville's chart of this coast. The glacier was photographed from the air by U.S. Navy Operation Highjump
in January 1947. It was charted by the French Antarctic Expedition
, 1949-51, and named after d'Urville's flagship, the Astrolabe
The Astrolabe Glacier Tongue is a prominent glacier tongue about 3 miles (4.8 km) wide and 4 miles (6 km) long, extending northeast from Astrolabe Glacier.