The station is located at the northern end of the Groves Street level crossing, and between the Nepean Highway and Station Street. All three provide station access.
The station consists of two side platforms: Platform 1 (Flinders Street bound) has a large brick building (identical to the station building at Edithvale station, 1.3 km south-east), while platform 2 (Frankston bound) has a smaller brick building. A large Metcard machine is located at the entrance to platform 1, which is able to dispense most ticketing options available and also accept notes and coins. A small coin-only Metcard machine is located at the entrance to platform 2.
Aspendale station opened in April 1881 as Aspendale Park Race-Course. It was renamed to Aspendale in 1905.