Ariano Suassuna (born João Pessoa, 1927) is a Brazilian playwright and author.
Four of his plays have been filmed and he is considered one of Brazil's greatest living playwrights. He is also an important regional writer doing various novels set in the Northeast of Brazil. He received an honorary doctorate at a ceremony performed at a circus.
- Auto da Compadecida, (1959);
- O Castigo da Soberba, (1960);
- O Casamento Suspeitoso, (1961);
- Uma Mulher Vestida de Sol, (1964);
- ''O Rico Avarento, (1964);
- O Santo e a Porca, (1964);
- Pena e a Lei, (1974);
- Alto da Boa Preguiça, (1982).
- A Pedra do Reino e o Príncipe do Sangue do Vai-e-Volta, (1971).
- História d'O Rei Degolado nas caatingas do sertão: ao sol da Onça Caetana, (1977).