) (The village of the Heights, named after St. Finnan who founded a leper colony just outside the village), is a small village
in south County Tipperary
. It is situated on the river Suir
. The parish of Ardfinnan is made up of three areas: Ardfinnan, Ballybacon
, and Grange. The village is located about ten miles from the town of Clonmel
and six miles from the town of Cahir
Places of interest
The most prominent feature of the village is the castle which was built by King John
to guard the river crossing. The Bridge was started soon after the castle was completed. The castle has a long and varied history of owners, and indeed is inhabited to this day but it is not open to the public. The population of the village is approximately 1000 to 1200 people.
Ardfinnan Web site with local information and pictures.