The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Gorizia
, is an Archdiocese
of the Latin Rite
of the Roman Catholic church
. The archiepiscopal see
) was founded in 1752 when the Patriarchate of Aquileia
was divided. It was suppressed in 1788 and re-established in 1797 as the Diocese of Görz-Gradisca. It was raised again to an archdiocese
in 1830. The diocese of Ljubljana
(Capo d'Istria), Poreč-Pula
(Parenzo-Pola), and Krk-Rab
(Veglia-Arbe) were formerly under the metropolitan
jurisdiction of this archdiocese; however, now the Diocese of Trieste
is its only suffragan diocese.
The territory of the Archdiocese was identical with the Austro-Hungarian County of Gorizia and Gradisca until 1918 when it was transferred to Italy at the conclusion of the First World War. Also from 1766 the archbishop was Prince of the Holy Roman Empire.
Prince-Archbishops of Gorizia
vacant. Abolished in 1788 and restored as a diocese in 1797.
Bishops of Görz-Gradisca
Archbishops of Gorizia