The town water for Aramac is supplied from two bores connecting into the Great Artesian Basin.
In the 1850's, pastoralist and future Premier of Queensland Robert Ramsey Mackenzie travelled through the area. He blazed a tree with the inscription 'R R Mac', which was later corrupted into the name of the town.
The town was originally called Marathon.
There was a massacre of 25 local Aborigines at the nearby Mailman's Gorge.
The town was initially a major outback town. However, the railway line ran through Barcaldine to the south, taking away the trade. In the early 1909 the local council built a spur line (tramway) from Barcaldine. The tramway operated until 1975.
The white bull in this statue was stolen by Henry 'Harry' Redford, otherwise known as Captain Starlight who duffed cattle from a property called Bowen Downs. The herd of cattle was driven overland to Adelaide where some of the thieves were caught and tried.