Appledore

Appledore, North Devon

See Appledore for other places with the same name.

Appledore is a town on the mouth of the River Torridge, about 6 miles (10 kilometres) west of Barnstaple in the county of Devon. It is an old town with a long street of houses, including a small one which is a winner of a small house award. It is home to Appledore Shipbuilders, a lifeboat slipway and Hockings Ice Cream, a brand of ice cream only sold in North Devon. The local football team is Appledore F.C.

Industrial Archaeology

The Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway (B,WH&A,R) was most unusual amongst British Railways in that although it was built as a standard gauge line (4ft 8.5in) it was not joined to the rest of the railway network, despite the London and South Western Railway having a station at Bideford, East-the-Water, meaning on the other side of the River Torridge from the main town. The line was wholly situated on the peninsula made up of Westward Ho!, Northam and Appledore with extensive sand dunes the Torridge and Taw estuary. The line closed in 1917 having been requisitioned by the War Office (Stuckey 1962).

Gallery

References

  • Stuckey, Douglas (1962). The Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway 1901-1917. Pub. West Country Publications.

See also

External links

Search another word or see Appledoreon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature