The Florida Midland Railway Company
was incorporated under the general incorporation laws of Florida
, and surveyed a line
The company was reincorporated on February 10, 1885; only 10 miles had been graded. The new owners were E. W. Henck, S. M. Breuster, Carl Cushing, A. Menser and C. E. Munson of Florida, and Edward Page, Charles W. Morris and Cyrus Carpenter of Boston, Massachusetts.
The line was extended
Land grants were promised, as long as part of the railroad was completed within a year.
Florida state law chapter 3795, approved June 2, 1887, expanded the area from which land grants could be chosen, and extended the deadline to June 1, 1888.
The line actually built was rather different, running from Clifton on Lake Jessup west to Apopka, but then turning south to Kissimmee.
, the railroad has been abandoned for about 100 years, and almost no traces are left. Parts of the right-of-way were used to construct SR 434
From Apopka to Clarcona, the right-of-way is used for the West Orange Trail.
From Clarcona to Ocoee, the right-of-way is currently owned by CSX and run by the Florida Central Railroad.
From Ocoee to Kissimmee, the railroad is abandoned, and some elements remain.
These are listed from north to south.