The Aphrodite of Menophantos
is a Roman marble statue of Venus
of the Capitoline Venus
type. It was found at the Camaldolese
monastery of San Gregorio al Celio
. It bears the signature of Menophantos, a Greek sculptor, apparently of the first century BCE, of whom nothing more is known. The Camaldolese coenobites occupy the ancient church and monastery of S. Gregorii in Clivo Scauri founded on the slope (clivus
) of the Caelian Hill
by Pope Gregory the Great
about 580. His foundation was dedicated in honor of the apostle Andrew, on his own property. By the tenth century Gregory's name was appended to that of the apostle, whom he eventually supplanted. The sculpture came into the possession of prince Chigi
. Johann Joachim Winckelmann
described this sculpture in his Geschichte der Kunst des Altertums
(vol V, ch. II).
- Haskell, Francis and Nicholas Penny, 1981. ''Taste and the Antique: The Lure of Classical Sculpture 1500-1900 (Yale University Press). Cat. no. 84.
- Helbig, Wolfgang, Führer durch die öffentlichen Sammlungen klassischer Altertümer in Rom 4th edition, 1963-72, vol. II.