The station opened on 1 September 1870, and closed to regular passenger services on 10 September 1951. There was a line heading south from this station leading to Cumnock. There was also a line that headed north west to join the former Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway just south of Monkton railway station.
Opened by the Glasgow and South Western Railway, it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The station then passed on to the Scottish Region of British Railways in 1948, only surviving three years into the nationalised era before closure to passengers by the British Railways Board.
Today the Ayr to Mauchline line is still open as a freight line. The line to the south is open as far as Drongan, serving the former Killoch Colliery.