Blessed Angelina di Marsciano (1377 – 1435) was an Italian nun and abbess, and is a beata of the Roman Catholic Church. She founded a Third Order of Religious, known today as the Franciscan Sisters of Blessed Angelina. Some credit her with the founding of the Franciscan Third Order Regular, as her order marked the establishment of the first Franciscan monastery of enclosed tertiary nuns in Italy.
Angelina got married, at the age of 15, to the count of Civitella, Giovanni da Terni. However, he died only two years later, leaving Angelina in charge of the estate of Civitella del Tronto.
It was then that Angelina made the decision to dedicate her life to God (it would appear that she had considered being a nun before she was married). She dressed as a Franciscan tertiary and, with several companions, began an apostolic mission around the country, preaching the values of repentance and virginity, as well as service to those in need.
Her progress was arrested by the disturbance she caused in the communities where she called for young women to adopt religious life. She was doubly charged with sorcery, the imagined origin of her sway over women, and heresy, because of her allegedly Manichean opposition to marriage. Angelina defended herself before Ladislas, the king of Naples, who dismissed the charges, but exiled her and her companions to avoid further complaints.
She continued on to Assisi, and stopped to rest at the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli. There, she experienced a vision, wherein God instructed her to found a cloistered monastery under the Rule of the Third Order of Saint Francis in Foligno. The local bishop approved the plans with little hesitation, as they meant an end to her troublesome active ministry.
It was 1397 when the convent was opened, whereupon it was dedicated to Saint Anne. Angelina was Superior of the twelve founding members. This endeavor was so successful, monasteries soon opened in Florence, Spoleto, Assisi, and Viterbo, along with eleven others before Blessed Angelina's death in 1436.
Her communities gained greatest popularity in the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1428, Pope Martin V had put them under the jurisdiction of the Friars Minor, with a specific mandate for the education and instruction of young girls. Even so, their work was fairly apostolic until strict enclosure in 1617. With a 1903 lift of papal enclosure, a wider apostolate was permitted, and the order became known again as the Franciscan Sisters of Blessed Angelina. As of 1999, they consisted of 11 houses and 80 members.