Ang Dating Daan (Tagalog for "The Old Path") is a religious radio and television program in the Philippines produced by Members Church of God International and hosted by Eli Soriano.
The program started in 1980
on radio then in 1983
on television as a 30-minute block timer on Intercontinental Broadcasting Corporation
with a shoe-string budget. The program currently airs live via satellite through the facilities of UHF Channel UN Television
and various radio stations such as RMN
and 100 Radyo Natin FM Stations
. While mainly broadcasting in Filipino
, some English language elements were added for foreign viewers, including “Truth in Focus”, “Biblically Speaking”, “How Authentic the Bible is”, and “Bible Guide”. It also features the use of multi-lingual and multi-dialectic translations of the Bible.
Ang Dating Daan denies several doctrines such as the Trinity and salvation by grace alone. The program frequently criticizes various denominations for their doctrines, practices and what it says are false teachings, including the Catholic Church, Pentecostal Denominations, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh-day Adventist Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Iglesia ni Cristo, (Church of Christ founded by Felix Manalo), a Philippine-based religion. In retaliation, Iglesia ni Cristo created a counter program, Ang Tamang Daan answering Soriano's allegations on the show.
In June 2005, Soriano filed a complaint with the Philippine Commission on Human Rights against MTRCB's (Movie and Television Review and Classification Board) decision to ban the program and its hosts from appearing on TV due to complaints filed by the Iglesia ni Cristo, a move seen by Soriano's members as an attempt to muzzle the group's freedom of religion and freedom of speech. The Commission on Human Rights ruled that MTRCB overstepped its authority by banning Soriano's TV programs in 2005.
Controversies and Legal Problems
- Eliseo Soriano was placed on the Philippines Bureau of Immigration watch list on November 11, 2005 on charges of rape filed by Daniel Veridiano, a former Communications and IT department head of Ang Dating Daan who later joined Iglesia ni Cristo. Macabebe Regional Trial Court Judge Manuel Siyangco issued the warrant of arrest. The charge was dismissed due to lack of pertinent evidences, but was later refiled in a higher court by the country’s Department of Justice Secretary, Raul Gonzales, who is not in anyway involved with the case. Soriano has denied the rape allegation, saying Veridiano was retaliating after he was expelled from Ang Dating Daan in August 2005 after complaints of misappropriation of church funds and that Veridiano sexually molested 14 staff members. On May 3, 2006, in a 5-page resolution, Pampanga acting provincial prosecutor Jaime Umpa recommended the filing of rape case against Ang Dating Daan leader Eliseo Soriano and allowed him to post a P400,000 bail bond (P200,000 for each count).
- In November 2006, an arrest warrant against Eliseo Soriano was issued by Judge Lucina Dayaon, Macabebe, RTC Branch 54. Eliseo Soriano on June 21, 2008, posted P 240,000 bail for another 2 counts of rape, before Judge Silvino Pampilo, Jr., Manila Regional Trial, after surrendering to a police Station 10 jailer Jun Gumaruin, Pandacan, Manila to avoid being apprehension. The indictment or criminal "Information" states that: "Soriano took advantage of his moral ascendancy and/or influence to direct his subordinate to come into his room, massage him and have anal intercourse, around 1:30 p.m. of May 17, 2000. The sexual acts were done against the will and consent, and to the damage and prejudice of the complainant, who was also a religious." Gumaru said: "He was not into hiding, and he was not arrested. Manila Standard Today however, reported that Regional State Prosecutor Jaime Umpa, as Pampanga assistant provincial prosecutor, was instrumental in the filing of criminal cases against Eliseo Soriano, the most vocal critic of the Iglesia ni Cristo. In this regard, Umpa's boss, Raul M. Gonzalez’s chief of staff, Undersecretary Fidel Exconde, is a leading member of the INC.
- In February 2008, Apalit Municipal officials led by Mayor Oscar Tetangco Jr led the closure of at least four buildings inside the MCGI compound in Barangay Sampaloc, Apalit, Pampanga. The buildings include a chapel, museum and two residential houses, which were constructed without building permits, municipal officials said. The resolution stated that the Municipality of Apalit received numerous reports from insiders, former members and workers of MCGI, that a portion of the property was being utilized for burial purposes without any approved documents from the local government. The church claimed that there were only 2 graves and that they were the bodies of Mr. Soriano's parents. The Apalit municipal treasurer also stated that MCGI failed to pay its real property taxes for the years 2006 until 2007. This followed a series of lawsuits directed at the church from former members, as well as the church's television programs being taken off the air in 2005. The church has also had conflict with Islamics, and at one point a grenade was thrown into the MGCI compound, after incendiary comments made by Soriano, against Muslims, were broadcast on Philippine television.
- September 2, 2008, Eliseo F. Soriano charged with falsification of public document. The head of Ang Dating Daan evangelist group Eliseo "Ely" Soriano and two others were charged with falsification of public document at the Manila City Prosecutor's Office for allegedly faking the certificate of detention in order to post bail for his rape charges.
- Ang Dating Daan: By Demand
- Ang Dating Daan: Bible Exposition Worldwide
- Bible Guide
- Biblically Speaking with Bro. Eli Soriano
- Itanong mo kay Soriano, Biblia Ang Sasagot (Ask Soriano, the Bible will answer)
- Kontradiksiyon ba? (En Are they contradictory?)
- Thanksgiving Day
- Truth In Focus