Ancenis (Ankiniz) is a commune of the Loire-Atlantique department in northwestern France. It is a sub-prefecture of the department.
Now, in Région Pays de la Loire, it played a great historical role as a key location on the road to Nantes (23 miles south-east), the historical capital of Brittany. It was named the key of Brittany and the door of Brittany.
Monuments and landmarks
- Old mediaeval and Renaissance castle
- The Loire river on which Ancenis is located (on the North bank)
- Church saint Peter, 15-16-17th century
- Chapel of the Ursulines
- Chapel Notre-Dame de Délivrance
- Old quarter with mediaeval houses
- Dolmen at Pierre-Couvretière