tend to fall into one of two categories; those that are actual postage stamps
, and those non-governmental
, non-postage stamps that were produced in memory of special historical events and individuals and sometimes to raise money for a political cause, the most popular having been made during the Spanish Civil War
. There are also membership dues paid stamps and assessment stamps that are used in membership books for anarchist organizations
and labor unions such as the Spanish CNT
and the US IWW
Anarchists represented on postage stamps
- Pierre Joseph Proudhon, France, in 1948.
- Leo Tolstoy, USSR, in 1935, 1953, 1960.
- Henry David Thoreau, USA, in 1967.
- Louise Michel, France, 1986.
- Louise Michel, New Caledonia, 1991.
- Joe Hill, Sweden, 1980.
On Spanish Civil War stamps
(also know as "Republican Labels")