Anaconda, county seat of Anaconda City/Deer Lodge County, is located in mountainous southwestern Montana. The Continental Divide passes within 8 miles (13 km) of the community with the local Pintler Mountain range reaching 10,379 feet (3,164 m). According to the 2004 US Census the population is 9,088, with a per capita personal income of $21,163 and a Median household income of $26,305. It is the ninth biggest city in Montana. Central Anaconda is 5,335 feet (1,626 m) above sea level. It is surrounded by the communities of Opportunity and West Valley.
The county area is 741 square miles (1,919 km²), characterized by densely timbered forestlands, lakes, mountains and recreation grounds. The county has common borders with Beaverhead, Butte-Silver Bow, Granite, Jefferson and Powell counties.
Anaconda is a company town founded by Marcus Daly of the Anaconda Company which began its smelting operations here and would build the tallest smokestack in this part of the U.S to support the company's operations in nearby Butte, Montana. The supporting community was named after the company. After a century of copper smelting from the Anaconda Company, Anaconda Smelter Stack closed its operations in 1980. Since an operation for environmental cleanup was put into place by the Environmental Protection Agency and executed with the assistance of ARCO. The multi-million dollar cleanup and investment has resulted in the formation of "Old Works" Golf Course, a championship 18 hole Jack Nicklaus signature design.
- Elevation: 5335 ft (1,626 m)
- Average annual rainfall: 14 inches (356 mm)
- Average length of growing season: 114 days
- Average annual snowfall: 6.0 inches (15 cm)
- Average annual temperature: 43.0 °F (6.1 °C)
- Hunting - Many local establishments can provide hunting licenses for in-state and out of state hunters. There are hundreds of miles of hunting available to the public in the area. With permit, hunting is permitted for fowl, bear, mountain lion, elk, deer and moose, however only deer and elk hunting is allowed without application to the state hunting license draw.
- Fishing - With the exception of many mountain lakes and streams, primary fishing spots include Silver Lake, Georgetown Lake, Echo Lake, and Warm Springs Creek.
- Golf - The Old Works Golf Course is a Jack Nicklaus signature golf course. The course provides affordable greens fees, professional private instruction, and an excellent course that is accommodating to the learning enthusiast or the golf professional. There is also a local country club and an 18 hole championship golf course located at Fairmont Hot Springs.
- Skiing - With plentiful trails for cross country skiers, and the Discovery Ski Area for downhill skiers Anaconda is an excellent place for the skiing enthusiast. The Discovery Ski Area also grooms 5km of cross country ski trails. Discovery ski area boasts 15 downhill double black diamond trails.
- Darts -The annual Winter Getaway dart tournamet held in several local establishments draws as the largest regional dart tournament in the State of Montana
- Museums - The Copper Village Museum and Arts Center provides visitors and residents with art and history of the local area.
Notable natives and residents