, an aminobutyraldehyde dehydrogenase
is an enzyme
the chemical reaction
- 4-aminobutanal + NAD+ + H2O 4-aminobutanoate + NADH + 2 H+
The 3 substrates of this enzyme are 4-aminobutanal, NAD+, and H2O, whereas its 3 products are 4-aminobutanoate, NADH, and H+.
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, specifically those acting on the aldehyde or oxo group of donor with NAD+ or NADP+ as acceptor. The systematic name of this enzyme class is 4-aminobutanal:NAD+ 1-oxidoreductase. Other names in common use include gamma-guanidinobutyraldehyde dehydrogenase (ambiguous), ABAL dehydrogenase, 4-aminobutyraldehyde dehydrogenase, 4-aminobutanal dehydrogenase, gamma-aminobutyraldehyde dehydroganase, 1-pyrroline dehydrogenase, ABALDH, and YdcW. This enzyme participates in the urea cycle and the metabolism of amino groups and beta-alanine.
- Callewaert DM, Rosemblatt MS, Tchen TT "Purification and properties of 4-aminobutanal dehydrogenase from a Pseudomonas species". J. Biol. Chem. 249 1737–41.
- Boyer, P.D., Lardy, H. and Myrback, K. (Eds.), The Enzymes, 2nd ed., vol. 7, Academic Press, New York, 1963, p. 203-221.
- JAKOBY WB, FREDERICKS J "Pyrrolidine and putrescine metabolism: gamma-aminobutyraldehyde dehydrogenase". J. Biol. Chem. 234 2145–50.
- Matsuda H, Suzuki Y "gamma-Guanidinobutyraldehyde Dehydrogenase of Vicia faba Leaves". Plant. Physiol. 76 654–657.
- Yorifuji T, Koike K, Sakurai T and Yokoyama K "4-Aminobutyraldehyde and 4-guanidinobutyraldehyde dehydrogenases for arginine degradation in Pseudomonas putida". Agric. Biol. Chem. 50 2009–2016.
- A "A pathway for putrescine catabolism in Escherichia coli". Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 880 242–4.
- Prieto MI, Martin J, Balana-Fouce R, Garrido-Pertierra A "Properties of gamma-aminobutyraldehyde dehydrogenase from Escherichia coli". Biochimie. 69 1161–8.
- Samsonova NN, Smirnov SV, Novikova AE, Ptitsyn LR "Identification of Escherichia coli K12 YdcW protein as a gamma-aminobutyraldehyde dehydrogenase". FEBS. Lett. 579 4107–12.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is .
Gene Ontology (GO) codes