The Society for Military History
is an organization of scholars who research, write and teach military history
of all time periods and places. It publishes the quarterly refereed journal titled Journal of Military History.
Its back issues are online through JSTOR
. An annual meeting was held in Frederick, Maryland, from April 19-22, 2007. The Society's 75th Annual Meeting was planned for Ogden, Utah, for April 17-19, 2008 at the Ogden Eccles Convention Center. The meeting is hosted by Weber State University
and the theme is "The Military and Frontiers".
The society was established in 1933 as the American Military History Foundation, renamed in 1939 the American Military Institute, and renamed again in 1990 as the Society for Military History. Its over 2,300 members include many prominent scholars, soldiers, and citizens interested in military history. Membership is open to anyone and includes the journal.
Officers (2006-2007) are:
- President Dr. Carol Reardon
- Vice President Dr. John A. Lynn
- Executive Director Dr. Robert H. Berlin
- Treasurer Dr. Graham A. Cosmas
- Journal Editor Dr. Bruce Vandervort
- Journal Managing Editor Dr. Larry I. Bland
- Recording Secretary & Photographer Thomas Morgan
- Webmaster & Newsletter Editor Dr. Kurt Hackemer
- Board of Trustees: Conrad C. Crane, Joseph T. Glatthaar, Mark A. Stoler, John F. Votaw, Kathleen Broome Williams, David W. Hogan, Alexander S. Cochran, Jeffrey Grey, John F. Guilmartin, Jr., Eugenia C. Kiesling, Brian M. Linn, Brian Holden Reid