ADL began life in April 1953, when the Government of Prince Edward Island enacted a "Special Act of Incorporation." The goal of the government at this time was to have one central plant that would produce Cheese, butter and milk for Western Prince Edward Island. The companies that would be amalgamated into ADL were:
By 1955, ADL was already established on PEI, as a reliable brand. The next step was to expand the company, this was done by purchasing other small companies. The first of these purchases was in 1955, when ADL acquired the O'Leary Butter Factory. This purchase allowed ADL to break into the egg and poultry sectors. Expansion didn't end with the O'Leary Butter Factory, in 1958 ADL purchased the Olympia Ice Cream Company. The brand is still in use today, nearly 50 years after its purchase.
In the 1980s ADL finally moved into the buttercup packaging business with the purchase of the Crapaud Creamery Company. 1983 saw the ADL build a large, multi-temperature food distribution warehouse, which they used to serve the institutional and retail sectors with butter and milk.
In the late 1980s ADL purchased the prominent Island dairy operations of Maple Leaf Dairy (1986) and Garden City Dairy (1987). In 1991, Perfection Foods Limited, a well-known Island producer of milk and other related products, went bankrupt. This provided ADL with a great opportunity to expand its operations significantly in PEI. ADL purchased Perfection Foods Limited. Perfection still operates under its own brand name.
By 1992, it was becoming obvious, that to survive in the cheese industry, ADL would have to diversify its productions. ADL began producing different types of Cheese in 1992, the new types of cheese that ADL began producing were:
In 2005, ADL sold $105 million dollars worth of products and had $32 million dollars in assets. The Island market only accounts for 20% of ADL's sales. The majority of ADL's sales are done in other provinces of Canada, under either the ADL brand or store brands.