Alan Gerald Soble
(born 1947) is an American philosopher
who is a prominent thinker in the Philosophy of Sex
He was born to Sylvia Soble and William Soble in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on March 4 1947. Soble graduated in 1969 from Albright College with a B.S. in Biology. He completed his M.A. in Pharmacology at University at Buffalo in 1972, then went on at the same university to attain a Ph.D. in Philosophy in 1976.
Early in his professional career, Soble wrote papers in areas of Ethics and Epistemology. In the late 1970s he began to help articulate the fledgling specialty of Philosophy of Sex (he founded The Society for the Philosophy of Sex & Love; its proceedings were published as Sex, Love, and Friendship).
In subsequent years, Soble has edited or written many of the most significant works in this field. In late 2005 he completed the central reference work in the philosophy of sex, Sex from Plato to Paglia. Some of his essays on sexuality, love, and science have been translated into French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Hungarian, and Chinese.
He was University Research Professor at the University of New Orleans, from 1986 to 2006, but left New Orleans after his home was destroyed by the flooding caused by Hurricane Katrina. He is now Professor Emeritus of UNO and teaches in the Philadelphia area. The fifth edition (27 years after the first) of his The Philosophy of Sex appeared in July, 2007.
- Soble, Alan (2006). Sex from Plato to Paglia: A Philosophical Encyclopedia, (editor), 2 volumes. Greenwood Press. ISBN 0-313-32686-X.
- Soble, Alan (2002). Philosophy of Sex, 4th edition. Rowman and Littlefield. ISBN 0-7425-1346-7.
- Soble, Alan & Nicholas Power, eds. (2008). Philosophy of Sex, 5th edition. Rowman and Littlefield. ISBN 0-7425-4798-8.
- Soble, Alan (2002). Pornography, Sex, and Feminism. Prometheus Books. ISBN 1-57392-944-1.
- Soble, Alan; trans. D. DiFalco (2007). Pornografia, sesso e femminismo. Effepi Libri. ISBN 88-6002-010-9.
- Soble, Alan (1998). The Philosophy of Sex and Love: An Introduction. Paragon House. ISBN 1-55778-716-6.
- Soble, Alan (2008). The Philosophy of Sex and Love: An Introduction, 2nd edition, revised and expanded. Paragon House. ISBN 1-55778-875-7.
- Soble, Alan (1997). Sex, Love, and Friendship. Rodopi [Amsterdam]. ISBN 90-420-0227-1.
- Soble, Alan (1996). Sexual Investigations. New York University Press. ISBN 0-8147-8085-7.
- Soble, Alan (1990). The Structure of Love. Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-04566-2.
- Soble, Alan (1989, 1999). Eros, Agape, and Philia. Paragon House. ISBN 1-55778-278-4.
- Soble, Alan (1986). Pornography: Marxism, Feminism and the Future of Sexuality. Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-03524-1.
- - Copies of his major published essays