|Year||Communal population||Change||Municipal population||Change|
The community has a school, a gymnasium, a church, a post office and a(plateia). It has a train station with no building connecting the railway line with Patras - Aigio - Aigira - Derveni - Xylokastro - Kiato - Corinth. The origin of the name comes from the Ancient Greek word aiges for goats.
The place has 8-story buildings and hotels founded around the city and newer ones in the west. Aigeira also has a traffic light.
Mountains are founded to the south. Forests are founded to the west and east. One of the hill foundede south is named Palaiokastro.
North of Aigeira is a beach which includes spas.
It changed its name to the present name as the defenders achieved victory and the people bounded for the goats and attacked the enemies.
The city was prosperous and was one of the twelve most important cities in the Achaean League. It was also a member of the Achaean league. According to Pausanias, there was a statue of Zeus and Athena as well as a temple of Artemis Agrotera.
The city was destroyed when Achaea became part of the Roman Empire. Allegedly it was destroyed by a flood. Since then, the city is 400 m above sea level. Others said it was destroyed by an earthquake.
The Österreichische Archäologische Institut, lit. the Austrian Archaeological Institute in 1916 made excavations in Aegira. The team along with Otto Walter (pronunciation: VAHL-tehr) found the head of the statue of Zeus which was sculpted by Euclid. Walter also found the left arm, the finger at the right hand later. In 1972, excavations continued by Wilhelm Alzinger and excavated the ancient theatre and a Naiskos (small temple). The soil was decorated with mosaic which showed an eagle.
Egira also has a parking area 1 km E of the National Road interchange.
|North: Gulf of Corinth|
| West: Akrata ||Aigeira/Egeira||East: Evrosthyni|