An agricultural show
is a public event showcasing the equipment, animals, sports and recreation associated with agriculture
and animal husbandry
. The largest comprise a livestock show
(a judged event or display in which breeding stock
is exhibited), a trade fair
, competitions, and entertainment. The work and practices of farmers
, animal fanciers
may be displayed. The terms agricultural show
and livestock show
are sometimes used synonymously.
A show is the Commonwealth term for an annual country fair.
, the show is an important part of cultural life. Shows range from small events in small country towns lasting most of one day, through medium-sized events of two or three days, to the all-encompassing Royal Shows
in state capitals, which may run for up to two weeks and combine many elements of an amusement park
with those of an agricultural show. Although increasingly under pressure due to finances and insurance concerns, all main towns have a Show Society and in some areas, several towns and villages in the area all have an annual show. Larger shows often include live entertainment and fireworks in the main arena.
A distinctive feature of Australian shows is the showbag, a themed carry bag of commercial goods.
Competitions commonly included in shows include:
Related to a show is the "field day
", with elements of a trade show
for machinery, equipment and skills required for broadacre farming. Field days typically do not involve livestock, showbags or sideshows
, but may include events such as ploughing
competitions not usually associated with shows due to the larger space required. In some communities in northern England Field Days (or Club Days
) have lost their agricultural character and have become community celebrations.
List of Royal Shows
List of other major agricultural and livestock shows
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United States
- American Royal - Kansas City, Missouri
- National Western Stock Show - Denver, Colorado (Largest in the world)
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo - Houston, Texas
- Pennsylvania Farm Show - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - San Antonio, Texas
- Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo - Fort Worth, Texas
- North American International Livestock Exposition - Louisville, Kentucky
- Clay County Fair - Spencer, Iowa
- Farm Progress Show - Decatur, Illinois and Boone, Iowa (Alternate years)
- National Farm Machinery Show - Louisville, Kentucky