The 12 acre ground, which also holds two rugby fields, was established in 1932 and is the home ground of Middlesbrough Cricket Club who were founded in 1875. The main pavilion and most of the banking which surrounds the playing area were built in 1953 and Yorkshire CCC played their first match there, against Glamorgan CCC in 1956. heir last forty years later. 13,100 watched the Championship match against Warwickshire CCC in 1967 but Yorkshire's decision to centralise their games at Headingley saw them play their last match there, against Surrey CCC, in 1996
Yorkshire suffered the ignominy of being bowled out for 23 by Hampshire CCC in 1965 when Butch White took 6 for 10, but the best bowling figures on the ground belong to Arnie Sidebottom who took 8 for 72 against Leicestershire CCC in 1986. Two batsmen scored double centuries, Alan Wells making 253 not out for Sussex CCC in 1991 and Mark Waugh 207 not out for Essex CCC the previous year.