Acheux-en-Amiénois is a commune in the Somme department in Picardy in northern France.
The commune is a farming village found at the junction of the departmental roads D938 and D114.
The earlier spelling of the name Acheux was either Aceu or Acheu (from the charter of the foundation of the nearby abbey of Corbie
). It comes from the Celtic Achad that meant "cultivated field".
The town of Acheux is ancient. It certainly existed in Roman times, where a fort was established, comprising ditches and pallisades, to protect it from attacks by the Atrebates
, a Gaulish tribe, after whom Arras is named.
Places and monuments
- The church of Acheux was built in 1760 as indicated on the inscription on the font. It is dedicated to Saint Cyr and Saint Juliette.
- The castle was constructed in the 11th century and had seven towers, of which two remain. The wall was surrounded by a dry moat filled with brambles and thorns, giving the nickname of "Thorn Manor".
Communes of the Somme department